Visitng English driver Ade Clifton was in fine form at Nuttscorner Oval on Sunday February 19th, taking a heat and final double to help The Condoms A lift the coveted Irish Teams Championship for 2012.

An excellent entry of ten teams battled it out for the title, and after the recent drivers meeting some of the best Banger action in many years was served up. There was action galore all around the raceway, with the rules adhered to strictly and all the drivers taking things in the best possible spirit. Clifton opened his account with the heat one victory ahead of his team mate Anto Finnegan, before Keith Carey took a deserved heat two success for Team Blue ahead of Wayne O’Hare(Team Black Attack B).

The hits continued apace in the final too, and Clifton again sped through to take the trophy in commanding style and with it seal victory in the Teams title by an impressive margin for The Condoms A – Clifton, Finnegan and captain Steven Reynolds. Reynolds followed Clifton home in the final to rubber stamp the emphatic victory. Steven Bolton had earlier been presented with the Best presented Car award for his Cougar, whilst the individual DD was unfortunately declared null and void with the three remaining cars making contact on the infield, which is now strictly against the rules.

All in all it was a superb days Banger racing, and something we can most certainly build on for 2012. Well done to The Condoms A for taking the title, and to all the drivers for putting on an excellent show.

Feargal McNally was the star of the show in the 2.0 Hot Rods, as he brought his newly acquired ex-Heatrick Saxo home to a brace of victories. Veteran racer Davy Potter opened the day by taking the flag in heat one ahead of a rapid looking Wayne Woolsey, before McNally took over to take the two remaining races of the afternoon, including the feature final. Gary Wilson and Alastair Calvin chased him home in heat two, whilst the final turned into a cracking encounter. Adam Hylands was first over the line, but he found himself docked for contact when taking the lead from Calvin, handing McNally the trophy and giving his new mount a perfect first outing. Calvin inherited second ahead of the demoted Hylands, with Derek Martin next up after Woolsey and Wilson both lost places in Race Control after their antics with one another.

There was another new car in victory lane in the Lightning Rods, as Coleraine racer Aaron Stewart took his immaculate new Sierra to the final win. Andrew Percy set the initial pace, but he was powerless as Stewart moved through to take it up and record a very welcome trophy success indeed. Percy hung on for second, ahead of the ever improving Noel Reynolds. Earlier, Richard Stewart had held off cousin Aaron to take the heat one win, before we had a very peculiar ending to heat two. Gary Beggs and Davy Clarke had been battling for the lead before tripping over each other into turn one, before the reds were thrown shortly afterwards with Aaron Stewart stranded on the home straight and only just over a lap to go. On countback to the last completed lap, Beggs was a lucky man to be handed the victory, with Clarke second ahead of British Champion Brendan McConnell.

The ProStocks had quite a few star men watching from the sidelines as they prepare new cars for the new rules coming into effect this year, and that paved the way for Irish Champion Billy Finnegan to land both heat wins. Sam McKinstry chased him home in the opener, with Karl Smyth runner up in heat two. Smyth and Finnegan then clashed in the final which ruined both their chances, and handed Dan McGreevy the trophy after a fine drive indeed, ahead of McKinstry and James Litter.

Be Sociable, Share!